Wednesday, September 8, 2010

PUBLIC SPEAKING - 60 Seconds

How to Pack a Lot of Punch in 60 Seconds Or Less

By Lily C Iatridis


When you only have a minute for public speaking, every sentence counts, especially the first one.


Yes, The Influencer Project event took place over a month ago. All the same, an analysis of the sixty 60-second interviews on influence is worthwhile for anybody who's ever asked to give a 60-second statement.


The truth is, while all of the speakers gave great advice, some of them discreetly marketed themselves brilliantly with their introduction, while others didn't.


First of all, it's an interesting event structure. Sixty very successful businesspeople give one-minute tips on how to best influence others. Listeners get 60 expert's advice in only an hour, and if you download the free transcript, it only takes 15-20 minutes to skim through. Love it!


I got some great new tips and reinforcement of ideas I've heard from others in the past on influence, including:
  • Figure out ways to get people talking
  • Deliver value always
  • Increase the size of your buttons
  • Be transparent
  • Publish consistently
  • Know where you're going
  • Follow better people (not clear what was meant by "better," but I took a guess)
  • Don't be afraid to repeat your tweets.
Surprisingly, while all sixty interviewees included valuable content in their 60 seconds of public speaking, not all of them introduced the primary benefit of their work very clearly, or what their work even was. 

I would have had to open up a new page and look up many of the speakers on the internet to find out this information.

I realize that the Influencer Project isn't at all about giving business leaders an opportunity to market themselves. However, it is to everyone's benefit to know what these successful businesspeople deliver. When I download these types of things, I am looking for content, but I'm also always looking for resources in certain areas of expertise. When public speaking about your business, it's always important to introduce your work clearly.


Nevertheless, I felt a few of them gave a brilliant one sentence introduction that explained all within 10 seconds. Their statement included their name, exactly how they help others, and their contact information.


Here's an example of one of the best opening statements, by Michael Port. It went like this:


"Hi. This is Michael Port of MichaelPort.com, and I'm the author of Book Yourself Solid." I think that took me less than 5 seconds to say aloud.


In one simple sentence, I know that if I want to book myself solid, all I have to do is go to Michael Port's site or Amazon and buy his book. I'll bet he's very good speaker, as well as teaching me how to book myself solid. I'm going to listen in the next time I hear he's giving a talk somewhere.


Can you do the same with your business?


Lily Iatridis of Fearless Delivery, has a proven track record and knows the key elements in effective and engaging presentation. Her expertise is in supporting professionals to get their message expressed clearly to deliver the biggest results in their live and online presentations. Secrets and strategies such as "how-to" shortcuts, personalized instruction and even packaging the presentation are just some of the skill sets that Lily brings to her audience to create a fearless and effective delivery.


If you've ever been nervous in front of an audience, please visit http://www.FearlessDelivery.com and download Lily's free ebook, "5 Steps to Neutralize Difficult Audience Members- Without A Power Struggle!" In this ebook, Lily shares simple strategies that will put your mind at ease, arm you with useful strategies, and entertain you with some stories of her own bumps along the path to public speaking success.


No comments:

Post a Comment