How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling by Frank Bettger
Almost everybody I know has at some time desired success as much as life itself. For some it is a constant and driving force from within. For others it may come and go.
If you have recently felt the desire to succeed then this review article may help move you closer to a realization of your dreams. In this current series of articles, media producer/publisher Michael Searles reviews a selection of books from the top list of success classics published over the past century.
How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling by Frank Bettger is the account of an insurance salesman who felt he was so bad at it that he almost gave up on the profession of selling entirely. Determined to study and apply what successful people do in his job selling insurance he set out to transform himself from a struggler to the star of his firm.
So what is it that Frank Bettger learned to transfrom himself from a failure to a success?
Below is a sample of the top 10 lessons Frank Bettger learned -
- the best salespeople do not "sell" - they find out what the other person wants, then helps them find the best way to get it
- when trying to sell something, talk mostly in terms of "you" and "your'. This lets the other person know you are thinking mainly of their interests
- forget witty conversation - be a good listener instead
- invest in increasing your knowledge of your own industry. You cannot afford not to.
- when in contact with clients, praise your competitors. It shows clients you are even-handed and will not hide anything from them.
- use "witness" (ie., satisfied clients) to sell your product to new clients. Then you can say, "Do not listen to me, listen to them."
- whenever you greet someone, repeat their name
- for just 30 days smile frequently and watch it transform your life
- don't ever engage another person in argument. instead, ask questions whose answers are likely to bring them round to your viewpoint
- prepare for every meeting with one as if preparing for a meeting with one-hundred
To succeed as a salesperson requires self-discipline, determination, and courage. Frank Bettger overcame psychological hurdles as well as the practical steps to being a better salesperson.
If you are not engaged in the business of sales be careful not to discard the value of reading this book in full as part of your self education on success. We all influence and persuade others daily in our work, family and social life.
Some sales trainers even tell us that "nothing happens until somebody is sold". If you are willing to study a few easy techniques from Frank Bettger you can sell with greater effectiveness.
Sell better and you will surely know success!
About Frank Bettger:
Bettger was born in 1888 and grew up in
. One of his heroes was Benjamin Franklin. A major influence on Bettger to write How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling came from Dale Carnegie (How to Win Friends and Influence People) who had earlier invited him to speak on a tour of the United States Junior Chambers of Commerce. Before passing in 1981 Bettger authored two other best sellers, How I Multiplied My Income and Happiness in Selling. Philadelphia
Crazy, Inspiring Business Success Story Interview at http://www.successnetstory.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Michael_Searles