Wednesday, January 19, 2011

J.K. Rowling's Victory Over Suicidal Depression

"Harry Potter" Author Contemplated Suicide

Tuesday March 25, 2008

In an interview with Adeel Amini for a student magazine at Edinburgh University, J.K. Rowling revealed that she had once been suicidally depressed.


Rowling, 42, went through a low period in her mid-20's, following her separation from her first husband. She had not yet found fame and fortune with the "Harry Potter" series of books and was a single mother, struggling to make ends meet.
"The thing that made me go for help," said Rowling, "was probably my daughter. She was something that earthed me, grounded me, and I thought, this isn't right, this can't be right, she cannot grow up with me in this state."
Her first attempt at getting help was a failure, however. The substitute doctor who was covering for her regular physician overlooked the signs of her suicidal urges and sent her home with an admonishment to come speak with the practice nurse if she felt "a bit low". "We're talking suicidal thoughts here," said Rowling, "we're not talking about I'm a little bit miserable."
Luckily for Rowling, her regular doctor was more sensitive and called her back into her office and got her into counseling. "She absolutely saved me because I don't think I would have had the guts to go and do it twice."
"I have never been remotely ashamed of having been depressed," added Rowling. "Never. I think I'm abnormally shameless on that account because what's to be ashamed of? I went through a really tough time and I am quite proud that I got out of that."

No comments:

Post a Comment